August 22, 2014

Photos I took in the house yesterday and today. I've been pretty much stuck with my doll photography for a while, and not terribly motivated to do anything about it. Yesterday I was taking Tiyana out to change (well, to swap Freddie's head out), and decided to photograph her with the Resin-Aperture challenge for this month (low angled shots). I usually take my photos from whereever I am, which is usually seated on the ground, with my camera propped on my knees to better stabilise my hands, and leave my dolls standing (Pretty much works for everyone except Cypher cos he's a LTF). Low angle isn't my best angle to take photos because I use a 50mm lens in my house, so I tend to end up in a really awkward position and I can't take photos. Still, I tried for the challenge, and I'm glad I did. It may not have worked out the best in terms of low-angled photograph, but I definitely like the photo that turned out better.

 photo DSC_4558editedresized_zps5cf07d6c.jpg

And the one I took today of Zeke happened to be somewhat of a low angled shot too. I think I'm just trying to actively *not* take portrait shots for these 2 sessions because I want to do something different. Like, I actually got different bodies for all my dolls for their characters and it's not going to matter if all I take are portrait shots, cos no one but me would see their full body, you know?
 photo DSC_4649editedresized_zps5f915fc9.jpg

And well, Tiyana's photo is kind of okay, I like the photo, characterwise I'm just like "yeah, it's okay". It might have to do with the fact that I'm thinking if I should redo her faceup, but I kind of like how I did this one, even though it's old and done with watercolour pencils instead of watercolour paints which is what I use now. So yeah, not too sure about that, we'll see what happens after I'm done with the coming semester of school.

But Zeke's photo, I just love it so much. There's a lot of things I love about this doll that's kind of just accidental things, by which I mean, things I wasn't actively looking at when I bought him. For example, his nose wasn't the main feature for why I bought his head (the lips were) and now it's really growing on me. And even though he has a default faceups (I generally don't like/keep my dolls with default faceups, but Zeke and Cypher both have default faceups, cos I like them), it is somehow just right for the character, even the tones of the blushing. I half wonder if it's a case of liking something more just because I own it now. Haha. But that's not the point - it doesn't matter why as long as I like it.

I also really like the solid feel of his body, even though the body was bought on impulse, on a new company I knew little about. And somehow it suits him, although sometimes I think his wrists are soooo thin, but he's pretty much in sweatshirts or oversized longsleeved tops anyway, so it doesn't matter. The Little Monica hands he's wearing (because the original Akagi ones were odd and had long nails) also look really nice on him (save for the thin wrists, but they do fit), and he actually wears the hands better than Hew who's on a LM body and also uses the same sized LM hands. I just feel like they suit Zeke better. Maybe I'm biased?

And Zeke has a SD17 length-ish torso but SD13 length-ish legs. He sits taller than most of my other dolls, even some who are taller than him because of that long torso. It's a bit accidental, since that wasn't my concerns when buying, but I just kind of like it. Make him different from the rest :) Oh, and I like that his legs lock when sitting. Yeah...

It's been a pretty rambly post, but I just felt like sharing what I like about Zeke because that photo shows so many of the details I like about him as a doll. And a bit of getting over (maybe) just taking portrait shots of my dolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment