August 27, 2014

 photo DSC_4796editedresized_zpsd13b692a.jpg

The fact that I had to crop the photo to a ratio that isn't what my camera takes makes me vaguely uncomfortable, but it does remove extra things from the photo which was annoying. I really like this shot for some reason.

I think there's something nice about seeing some sort of context in photos, even doll photos. Clearly we aren't all living in the same kind of places, and the "messy background" in some cases are less of messy and more of a certain rootedness to the photo. I might be rambling/romanticisng this slightly, of course, but when done well, I like photos (with or without dolls) with some kind of context that shows the kind of place/environment people live in. I mean, there's only so much dolls in plain backgrounds or with temperate plants in background shots. And nice as they are, I don't live in a place where I have temperate plants/nice looking forests (the forests here, if they're even big enough to be called forests, are pretty scary and wet and overgrown, as tropical forests tend to be, with a huge amount of dull green leaves), and I used to think, ohh, that means I can't take photos like that. That is true, but I still have other stuff, the small skating area behind my flat, the houses that are distinct to Singapore (rows and rows of flats in a certain style)... sometimes I forget that whatever I have and is around is is exactly that, and I shouldn't always try to clean everything up to a nice neat context. I hope that made some sort of sense.

I'm not really good at taking photos with these contexts, but sometimes I think it's nice to. I might do it sometime...

No comments:

Post a Comment