June 18, 2015

Wig making: Hard wig cap Part 1

So given how the new doll's hair is likely to be hard to find in a colour I want (a dark blue), I thought I'll try making a wig with leftover fibre from when I cut the twin's wigs, to see if it's worth it for me to order some nicer fibres (alpaca maybe?) to make a wig for her.

Although, that's gotta wait until she actually gets here for me to make a hard wig cap on her, so I decided to start by trying it on Cypher first. Also, side note, I decided to go ahead and order her a fibre wig anyway. I mean, more wigs, yay! And I'm still undecided on her hair colour to be honest, like what shade of blue, so yeah.

Yesterday I went on to find some stocking material, and just started doing this with what materials I have at home. Didn't really want to spend on buying things since this is somewhat of a trial anyway. So here we have Cypher wearing cling wrap. I might have squished his eyelashes a bit. Kinda forgot he has them since most of my dolls don't, haha.

 photo DSC_1385resized_zpsnuew5pte.jpg

And adjusting the stocking material on his head. I didn't really cut enough, so there was a bit not secured under the plastic, forming what looks like Bert's nose (Sesame Street, haha). Oh yeah, I undressed him in case I got any glue on him, so that's the stuff in the background.
 photo DSC_1388resized_zpsm3tildll.jpg

I don't know if the material is kinda thin or if I might have stretched it, but it looks ...very thin at the top. And this is after me moving the fabric around to make sure none of it is too stretched. I don't know. Guess I have to wait and see when I take it off him.
 photo DSC_1391resized_zpso63gwkpw.jpg

And then I painted glue onto the fabric. Just some white craft glue I had around, which can be used for fabric.
 photo DSC_1395resized_zpswb77srcz.jpg

And the side.
 photo DSC_1396resized_zpsxmxiyf6e.jpg

This morning, I checked and found that layer dry, but it still felt kind of thin, so I applied a new layer of glue. I squeezed too much out tho, so he ended up with a much whiter helmet than yesterday.
 photo DSC_1454resized_zpsketwd8jc.jpg

Oh yeah. It does start to flow off the areas painted into the lower areas after a while. But all in all the glue stays where it is pretty well.
 photo DSC_1455resized_zpsent0prju.jpg

That's all I have so far. Hopefully the wig cap is dry and sufficiently stiff for me to take it out to cut tomorrow. :) Will update the progress, haha.

Edit: Part 2 here.

No comments:

Post a Comment