July 19, 2015

Mods on the Unoa faceplate

Remember the Unoa Lilin I got the other day?

 photo DSC_2560editedresized_zpss7mwoiqj.jpg
I said I got her for modding, and I did that last week. Because this is my first eye mod, and also because I tend to be really bad with multitasking, I only got a bunch of random shots while I was modding her, but I thought I'll share it anyway. :)

First thing I did was sand off her sculpted eyebrows, because I think I might want to do different eyebrows on her. Since she doesn't have a character, I thought might as well experiment a bit with her. Haha. Here's a photo after I sanded off her left eyebrow (on the right in the photo). The sculpted brow is really subtle, but dimensional, so if I didn't want to do different things with her eyebrows, I might have kept it. But I don't like being restricted by the sculpted shape...
 photo DSC_2588editedresized_zpspoao9n6k.jpg

And after sanding them both off. (By the way, I didn't use the penknife, and the scissors was just to cut sandpaper.)
 photo DSC_2589editedresized_zpsawzu6nqu.jpg

The next thing I wanted to do was to open her eyes. I was thinking of doing either dreaming eyes, or really small squinty eyes. In the end, I went with the squinty eyes, because dreaming eyes remind of Gabby, and I don't really need another pretty dreamy doll in white skin. Haha. Squinty eyes gives me more variety from my current dolls. This was probably the 2nd or 3rd time I drew the eyes, but it still wasn't the shape I wanted.
 photo DSC_2646editedresized_zps9bj0hmme.jpg

I think I might have redrawn it a few more times, before I got this, which was (roughly) what I ended up modding. Notice I also kept her mouth as it is, instead of drawing in where I might carve it into more of a smile. I figured I could always do that next time if I want to.
 photo DSC_2647editedresized_zps8yyqzhpx.jpg

Then I got an exacto knife to slowly carve her eyehole. I tried using a penknife at first, but the blade shifted very easily, and because I was working on such a small area, I couldn't go with the error, so I dug around the house and found an exacto blade. Basically the difference is that the exacto blade has its blade screwed in tight, while the penknife is more like the one you can typically buy with breakable intervals for the blade. I had thought that a penknife would work fine, since I use it quite regularly for making architectural models for school, but it didn't. Lesson of the day. Haha.
 photo DSC_2653editedresized_zpsiq4mqcph.jpg

A lot of carving and sanding and fine sanding later, tadahhh. I think her eyes turned out smaller than I drew, but it's okay. I'm in the process of doing her faceup, and I think I'll update that when I'm done.
 photo DSC_2659resized_zpsc7a5qxx5.jpg

I also made her eyes by painting acrylic on white beads, because I don't have eyes small enough for her (I tried Kristolf's 10mm, and they were still too big). I really don't know how small her eyes are. o.O But for now, I've started a freckled faceup for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment